Agriculture & Natural Resources

 

Agriculture and Natural Resources’ main goal is to meet the educational needs of our community by providing resources on subjects such as plant life, animal life, soil, water and air in order to properly provide the right renewable and non renewable natural resources. The Matagorda County Agriculture and Natural Resources program focuses on improving and maintaining agriculture, crop and animal practices while addressing issues such as environmental impacts whiten our community, crop production, water maintenance such as contamination or accessibility, and natural resources management.

Matagorda County’s Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension Program provides consultation and educational programs in the areas of livestock, crops, weed and brush management, grazing and forage production, water and soil testing, emergency management, feral hog eradication, and new land owner education.

The Extension Agent also provides certification training for the Texas Department of Agriculture, Private Pesticides Applicator License. Several re-certification opportunities (CEU Credits) are also made available through the Matagorda County Extension Office for TDA License holders.

 

 

USDA launching coronavirus aid signup May 26, prorating payments

Farmers can start enrolling next week for $16 billion in coronavirus relief payments, but the Agriculture Department has decided to prorate the aid to ensure there is enough money to go around, Agri-Pulse has learned.

Farmers will receive 80% of their Coronavirus Food Assistance Program payment in the initial distribution, according to a summary obtained by Agri-Pulse. The remaining 20% “will be paid at a later date as funds remain available,” the summary says.

CFAP payments will be capped at “$250,000 per individual,” the summary says. An initial description of the program said there would be caps of $125,000 per commodity per farmer with a total cap of $250,000 per farmer.

Commodity groups said the initial caps were too low for livestock producers as well as specialty crop growers. Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue subsequently said the proposed limits would be adjusted but didn’t say how.

The summary also says that individuals who get less than 75% of their income from farming can still receive CFAP payments as long as their adjusted gross income doesn’t exceed $900,000 a year.

Corporations with as many up to three individuals who meet USDA’s requirements for being actively engaged in farming will be eligible fro three separate payment limits.

The Farm Service Agency will begin enrollment May 26, the summary says.

Commodities eligible for payments include “cattle, hog, dairy, specialty crops (fruit and vegetables), row-crops (mainly corn, cotton and soybeans),” the summary says.

For more news, go to www.Agri-Pulse.com.

 

 

On Line Courses

Auxin Training 

Useful Links

Matagorda County Economic Contribution of Agriculture 

EIDL Reopening for Agriculture Businesses 

Rangeland & Pasture Herbicides

Sprayer Calibration Guide

Texas A&M AgriLife

Agrilife News 

Texas A&M Soil, Water and Forage Testing

Creating a Pollinator Paradise 

Comments are closed.